Practical Feeding Management and Finances for the Dairy Herd
- 2 Days
This course which aims to provide delegates with a thorough understanding of practical feeding management for dairy herds along with knowledge relating to the financial aspects of feeding a dairy herd.
The course will cover:
Feed Assessment and Analysis
- Methods of determining the nutrient content of feed stuff and their rumen dynamics
- Strengths and weaknesses of differing analytical techniques
- How to read between the lines of forage analyses and choose the right tests in the right circumstances
- Reviewing the principal methods of feeding; strengths and weaknesses within different production systems
- Understanding and assessing where issues may occur
Feeding Behaviour and Management
- Reviewing the principals and science of feeding, grazing and bunk management
- Understanding how cow behaviour influences feeding and nutrition
- How contracts are structured and what influences farm income
- Dissecting contracts and understanding what the incentivise, and how to maximise income
Manipulating Milk Constituents
- What drives milk constituent production, and how can we change it?
- Troubleshooting quality issues
Appraisal of Feed Costings on a Dairy Herd
- Understanding the metrics within feed costings, and their appropriateness for different systems
- Becoming familiar with key metrics, and understanding how to easily calculate them in the field
Course tutors: Richard Cooper and Julia Moorhouse.
If you are booking 5 or more delegates, please contact us for a group discount.
We aim to run this course in early 2021, however, we have not yet confirmed the date or venue.
If you are interested in attending this course, please register your interest hereRegister Interest
Terms and Conditions
Cancellations 14 or more days prior to the course will receive 100% refund. 8 to 14 Days will receive 50% refund and 7 or less will not be refunded.
Bookings which have not been paid for in full before course registration will be subject to a 10% surcharge. We reserve the right to refuse admission to delegates for whom payment has not been received at the time of registration, until the invoice has been settled.